Sunday, May 4, 2014

     When I woke up early and realized that sleep would not be coming back for me I ended up on my phone cleaning up my mailbox. One of the emails was from Chapters and I went through the books they are currently promoting. One book title which caught my eye but I didn’t click on was a book called “The Opposite of Loneliness”, a book of personal essays and poems. I silently said “hmm, neat name, I wonder what it is really about?” but I did not click on it. I passed it by.

     An hour later I was reading The Globe and Mail. I rarely read the newspaper and when I do I typically only read the Arts\Life sections and sometimes the odd headline that peaks my interest. This time the front page of the Arts section is a full page story titled The literary afterlife of a published Yale star by Sarah Hampson. The story catches me right away. The first paragraph pulls me in and screams at me. It is as if the columnist is speaking directly to me, somehow reading my soul and telling me how it is. But the ironic part is that as I continue to read I find out that the article is about a story of a young lady, who was killed in a car accident 5 days after graduating from Yale. And she is the author of the book I had seen on my phone an hour earlier.

And these are the kinds of signs from the universe that tell me there is something there for me to stop and take a look.

     These types of coincidences always make me feel in awe of the universe and our place in it. Was it random or meant to be? Sure it may seem like a small coincidence, meaningless possibly in the larger world, but lately I think that these little things are the things we need to be watchful for. These are the things we learn from if we follow them through. You never know where it might lead you. It is more likely that there will be many little things than one big thing that will change us or our lives. I believe that a string of little things lead up to a big thing. And most people don’t notice the little things, they focus on the big thing and believe that was the changing moment.

     We need to watch for the little things. The things that make you say "hmmm", the things that give your heart a little leap or give you that little butterfly feeling in your stomach. These are the meaningful things to your soul. Follow your instincts, see where they lead and act on them. I believe this is the path to fulfilling our souls and showing us where our place is in this big mysterious universe.


No comments:

Post a Comment