Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Today on my morning walk with Blue something amazing happened.


I smelled the heat! And with it spring! Finally!


I could actually smell the warm pockets of air. It made me so happy. I need the warmth. It seems like it was a very long cold winter and I couldn't seem to pull myself out of this little depression.


But this morning was joyful. I smelled it briefly and then it was gone. It was that brief and surprised "Oh!"  and I smiled a real smile. But then it was gone. I lifted my head and sniffed trying to find it again. I almost thought I was imagining it but thankfully I was able to find a few more spots along the way.


It reminded me of swimming in a cold lake and finding a warm spot. You get all excited and just as quickly it's gone. You keep swimming around trying to find another one and another one. That was me this morning.


What does heat smell like you may wonder?


To me the heat or warmth smells warm and moist and deep and heavy. It brings upon me feelings of happiness and the promise of more. The promise of warm mornings and the shedding of these heavy sweaters and pants, letting my body breathe and feel the air against my skin. The promise of fun days and sunshine and family and friends and outdoor activities. Of coffee in the backyard watching the world wake up. Of glorious yellow and orange sunrises. Of green buds starting to show on the trees and bushes and flower beds. Of warm nights sitting outside enjoying the slight breeze.

Spring . . . Thank you for coming, it's been a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment