Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Unintended Posting

I never intended on writing today but something came up which requires me to comment. Surprise surprise!

I was told the following by someone who I regard as extremely confident and organized, someone full of drive and determination, someone I look up to:


" . . . I feel like I'm working hard but I'm not seeing the results. There's a lot of things I could do better, I know that..... And I just want some time to set my own goals big and small. I feel like a bit like an unguided ship. That's not exactly true. I feel like I have a lot of guidence but no control if that makes sense. . ."

This is a great thing for all of us to stop and think about in our hectic lives. I need to throw my thoughts out there. My response would have been:

You have the vessel, you have the time, unlimited fuel, a full crew, navigation (guidance) system but NO DESTINATION. You are cruising around the world aimlessly and feeling like you aren't getting anywhere. Not getting the satisfaction of accomplishing a goal. You need to stop, pick a destination (and a few pit stops along the way) and then PLAN THE ROUTE. Map it out. That is your "control".

Lots of people will suggest different goals or activities and they all sound awesome and you want to do them all but that's not reality and definitely not under control. You need to pick the ones that are most important to YOU. Take the time to decide what your priorities are. There is always next year, and its not that you are putting something off negatively only living in reality.

Don't pick your goals based on others. You may feel "guilty" for not doing what a particular person wants but it's not about them it's about you and what is best for you. This is not selfishness. If you are not happy, nobody else will be.


Once again I am reminded that you do not know what is actually inside people. Unless they tell you their feelings, you are making assumptions. I think we can all relate to the above. We all have goals, sometimes they are clear and other times like mud. It's all mental and emotional. Physically your body will do whatever your mind tells it to. It's up to us to decide what is priority and positive for us as individuals.

We should all take some time to prioritize things in our lives. Can be in any area . . . work, fitness, health, eating, personal growth, spiritual growth, family, etc.  And don't forget that priorities change over time. What's important one month (day, week, month, year)  can change the next!

Think about it over the next few days and take some time to put it down on paper. Doesn't have to be fancy. Just scribble it down and leave it somewhere to remind you once in a while. And don't forget to map it out!

No comments:

Post a Comment