Friday, April 29, 2011

Just because I run

does NOT make me better at being a ball hockey player!

When I first got involved in ball hockey it was thru an old girl friend of Kevin's. She was so excited to have me say "yes" to being on their team. She told me "It's going to be GREAT to have a runner on the team!!".  Uh oh, I thought. I should have quit right then! That was expectation in her comment. I was going to be expected to perform . . . ahh I've never played before . . . remember?? I told you . . .

So I filled in my forms, sent away my cheque and waited for the season to begin. Which brings us to

LAST NIGHT

and our first game. I was less nervous than I thought I'd be. I'm getting a lot better at new people and new situations. More confident in my ability to navigate socially now. I'm getting closer to "maybe not caring so much about what people think" . . . ya right! Note blog title about "my bubble" I love to believe my own little thoughts lol.  My  "not caring"  involved me volunteering to be the beer bitch first night AND offering to put myself in net if the goalie didn't show up . . . trying to get people to like me?? maybe just a little . . .

Anyway . . . not nervous about meeting the team or playing the game for the most part. I keep wondering if maybe I should have at least tried putting my hands on my stick and knocking a ball around a bit . . . a little late for that now as I sat in the dressing room.

I warm up my legs a little, thankful that I've been running regularly. Roll my ankles every direction - warm them up, silently praying that I don't twist one. I even bought a new pair of running shoes to wear to play ball hockey but didn't wear them because I was afraid of twisting my ankle in a new shoe. Someone might be just a touch paranoid?? Helmet is on - should have worn that around the house a bit to get used to seeing past the cage. Out on the floor we warm up a little. I try to move the ball around with my stick and loose control of it instantly. Aha this will be fun! Run around with the stick and the ball. Can I do it - yup I can. Won't be pretty but I can try.

Details aren't necessary here - Second shift is mine - it starts and I run like hell for 2 mins., get back on the bench gasping for breath, then back out on the floor run like hell, then back on the bench - DYING this time. Gloves all wet and sweaty - ewww gross. Back out on the floor - run, not so much like hell this time. Back on the bench, legs rubbery, sit down. Back out on the floor - oops shouldn't have sat, legs are no longer working. Continue to try to "run". After the next shift, I realize my legs are fine now. A few more shifts and breathing is "normalizing" which really just means my body is using the oxygen more efficiently now while I run like hell. I am happy to know that the whole body adjusted to this game (and the gross wet gloves which I don't notice anymore)   :-)

Back in the dressing room after the game I congratulate myself on a first time ever game of ball hockey in which I did not embarass myself. I ran, I played, I went after the ball, I touched the ball with my stick, I fought for the ball. I did good. Bloody HOT AS HELL AND SWEATING TO DEATH but the cold beer went down nicely as I tore off helmet, gloves, jersey, tshirt, shinpads, socks, shoes  ugghhh . . . sat there in shorts and bra top. Good game!

Next one next Thursday - 10 p.m.  AHAHAAHHAAHHAHAA
I'm usually in bed at that time . . .

1 comment:

  1. OMG That's freakn' funny! congrats on your 1st game.......LOL

    ReplyDelete